Thursday, January 28, 2010

Tutorial!

Hey all! So, just to give you a little background on me in regards to my editing "experience". I graduated from Purdue in Computer Graphics technology where I learned the ins and outs of Photoshop among other things. We did a little bit with pictures (manipulations, restorations, etc.), but not a ton with editing. After I graduated, I discovered some new "worlds" in Photoshop...and I fell in love. haha! Anyway, I know some of you don't currently have Photoshop, but the good news is that you can download 30 day trials from Adobe.com to get you through these dull winter days (trust me, it WILL brighten your day!). Here is the link to download the trial:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/

You will need an Adobe.com account, but they don't spam and I don't even get e-mails from them very frequently. And, after your 30 day trial of Photoshop expires, you can move on to Elements (photoshop lite). And, after that hopefully they'll release the beta version of CS5. You can usually keep those for longer than 30 days. Now, one note to make is that the 30 day trial you can download from Adobe.com is Photoshop CS4. In my tutorial, I'm using Photoshop CS3. There are some differences, but for the most part they are fairly similar. If you have any questions about where to find things that I've done in CS3 on CS4 just ask. I've used and have access to both.

Sooo, here is my tutorial! Because it's so huge, I've also added a link to view it in a new tab: Click here.

OK, so after I posted the video embedded in this post...It was too huge. So, to see the video tutorial, just click on the link above. Let me know if you have any problems.

Free Actions Resources (and other great tutorials):
Coffee Shop Photography Blog
Pioneer Woman Photography Actions (and really great Tutorials!)
Smashing Magazine's Favorite Actions (I think most are free)

And, just searching for free photoshop actions can get some good results as well, but those are some sites that I really like. Some actions work better with certain kinds of pictures obviously. It's a really good way to get started editing and learning the Photoshop interface.

I'd also like some feedback on the tutorial. I'm currently getting a master's in educational technology and will be creating a photography e-learning course (or components of the course) this semester. So, I will be making quite a few similar tutorials throughout the next few months. And as I mentioned in the video, ask me questions if you have them. I seriously love photoshop and editing! And, if you have any other ideas for tutorials, e-mail me. I will happily use your ideas for my class. :)

And, here are some before and after photos.

Before.


After.


Before.


After.


And my all time favorite photo (I think I've posted this photo before...).

Before.


After.


P.S. Thanks for asking me to do this Kristine. It was a lot of fun!

5 comments:

  1. looks great! when i first started. I ran out and got every free action there was, and bought a few good ones too.. then after several pro photog encouraged me.. I got a way from the 'safe" and "easy" way to edit pics. when I look back at some of my earlier work that were all "actions", I just want to cringe!! its good for beginners, but I think the true art , is making each photo your own. these are great samples! i esp love the flower stems! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You are right. Making your photos your own is key. I make my own actions now using techniques I've learned from previous actions/tutorials/courses/etc. And, a lot of professionals purchase higher end actions which allow more "post action" customization. They are a brilliant way to get started in Photoshop especially if you don't have a ton of experience using the tools and different editing options. Do you have any other suggestions for free actions?

    Also, I didn't mention this in the post, but if you are anti action (some people are), most of those sites also offer great tutorials which are also good ways to learn Photoshop. I like to keep my photos consistent when I post process for people, so I usually run an action that I've created or modify other brilliantly created actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim!! This will give me a great start with photoshop :) I am really excited to learn. Your tutorial was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there a way to see comments on here? I just happened to come back to the site.. I hope I didn't come across as "anti actions".. just that part of the art of photography is creating it yourself. and in this age of digi, and actions, non pro ppl can get pretty good pictures in a jiffy for what it takes others a long time to learn, tweak and create their own! kwim?

    ReplyDelete
  5. good job with your before and after. I am going to check out your tutorials. I have some photos of my own.. you can check my site at www.turtleexpressions.com click on photography :)

    ReplyDelete