Sunday, November 1, 2009

Intro: Kristine Nielson


I'm a Utah native, though I've lived in California, Pennsylvania, or Indiana for most of the last 12 years. I am a graduate student at Purdue in the department of Earth and Atmospheric sciences, studying (of all things) the Great Salt Lake. Specifically, I'm trying to reconstruct the climate of the region around the Great Salt Lake using the stable isotopes of brine shrimp chitin. I used to grow sea monkies for my PhD, but I've killed them all off for now. They live on in my heart, as I've named my personal blog "seamonkiesrule.blogspot.com"

I have a husband and a 1 year old daughter (Sylvia), and a cat. I used to have a garden, but it's in hibernation thanks to the lovely cold weather.

I think I've always been a bit of a shutter bug, taking pictures mostly of family and friends, and quite a few of stuffed animals as a child. My husband is also an amateur photographer, focusing mostly on nature photography. I like nature photography, especially when we're out west, but I also like to take pictures of people. We got a new camera (a Canon Eos XSI) shortly before my daughter was born, which I use not nearly enough these days.

My husband's making fun of me for not including a picture of me "doing something cool," so here's a picture of me with a very friendly lizard:

5 comments:

  1. good to *meet* you Kristine!
    I would love to do a meet and greet. but don't know how to post..anyone? where should pics be posted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine can send you an invite if you'd like to be a contributor on this blog. That way you can post your own intro :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and Kristine... Cute picture! It is fun to get to know you a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth--I just sent an invite to the email address on your photography blog. If there's a different email address I should use, email me at kristine (dot) nielson (at) gmail and I'll send another invite.

    Jessica--glad you like it, since you took it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! hahaha :) I really didn't realize that was the one I took!

    ReplyDelete