Monday, November 16, 2009

Rule of Thirds. Margot


With rambunctious boys, my first priority is getting the shot and hope it turns out after some editing.  With trying to follow the rule of thirds this week, I had the hardest time deciding what my focal point was and decided I often had more than one.
In this picture of Eli, his face is almost exactly in the middle. But I decided his face wasn’t the main focal point. His face blends in with the rest of the picture and I am drawn to his body, sitting on the ground and covered with leaves.


 
In this picture of Zach, my focus was on his arms and hands in the air, and the leaves ready to fall. All stayed on the lines of thirds and worked best this way.

 
Quality-wise this picture is bad. But I love the composition and I purposely cropped it so the boys with their dad were centered. I tried to crop it a few different ways to throw them off-center, but this was the best.



In this one, my focus was on the boys’ feet and how they were walking in sync with each other. This one easily followed the rule.


This is what I decided about the rule of thirds:
Because I know the history of my photos, my focus may be different than someone who doesn’t know the subject.
The background and setting play a big role in deciding if a centered focus will work or not. I think the bridge picture works because the focal point has a frame that is on the 1/3 line. (Like Jessica’s picture of Evan, the bars that frame him are on the 1/3 line.)

Critique away!


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the first two...I think they're both really good uses of the rule of thirds. My eyes go to his body in the first one too...And the leaves picture is priiiiceless!!

    The bridge photo and even the bottom photo are PERFECT for leading lines/perspective!! Both are beautiful shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kim said about the bridge, your eye is lead straight to the center. It turned out great, and I love it! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the abundance of lines from the branches very distracting in the first picture. They make it hard for me to be sure what your intended focal point is.

    That second picture is awesome--great example of rule of thirds, and great motion. The picture of your sons walking down the road is great, too--I love the flare and the shadows, and the curved line of the road leading off into the distance. Very strong photos.

    ReplyDelete