Monday, November 16, 2009

Rule of thirds: Jessica

I wish I could say that I took at least one picture a day, but I didn't. I have been thinking about this assignment a lot though. This was good for me, I usually don't think about this rule very often. I am also not very good a seeing if the rule was followed. The photo below is following the rule of thirds, right? Her eyes (and scraped up nose) are the focal point of the picture and they fall along the top line.
This photo does not follow the rule of thirds, but it works because the bars of the slide frame in his face. What do you think?
I did not take this photo this week but I thought it was a good example to show for positive and negative space. The subject is the positive space taking up 1/3 of the space, while the brick wall is the negative space taking up 2/3 of the space. Her eyes also fall along an intersection rather than being placed right in the middle of the photo.Let me know what you think, I can take any constructive criticism that you give! I just want to improve my photos and become more familiar with this rule.

2 comments:

  1. Cute cute cute!! :)

    I love the bottom one of Kiah. That is an awesome use of the Rule of Thirds.

    I think the one of Evan with the yellow bar would fit great with perspective/leading lines too! It's soo nice how the use of the bar leads you to his face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Kim said. That picture of Evan works really well in spite of the way his face is centered because of the lines.

    Kiah looks so cute, even with a scratched up nose!

    ReplyDelete