Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rule of Thirds. Elly.

I have never taken a photography class, so this is the first I've heard of the rule of thirds but it makes perfect sense. It has been nice to focus on the composition of my photos this week. This was a picture I took the day before we got the assignment. I felt that it followed the rule of thirds in that the subject fell along the left line, however, the subject does not occupy 1/3 of the picture.

I felt that by cropping it in closer and getting rid of some of the extra space (and lighting it up a bit...I cheated), the subject is more prominent and the photograph more interesting.

This is a photo I took after we were given the assignment, and I think by placing the subjects where the lines meet in the lower right, it makes the subject as well as the background more interesting visually.

I am new to this concept, so any feedback or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I think those are both really good uses of the rule of thirds. I think trying at a football game/sporting event is neat. I like the idea of using the rule of thirds in that situation so that you get the location in the background too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you cropped the picture of your son. It really simplifies the background and the orange sort of ties in with his shirt. Oh--and post-processing (things like changing the brightness/contrast, cropping, etc.) aren't cheating at all--they're tools of the trade we'll most likely get to later!

    ReplyDelete